Thursday, June 26, 2008

MY PET PEEVE


*courtesy of www.baltimoresun.com

Here's another Magazine Writing assignment, just finished it.

I think it's cute:

It happens every single day. I approach the left- turn only lane and there’s always at least one car with a blinking left signal. Blinking quick and bright, as annoying as a never-ending tap on the shoulder. The signal consistently reminds me of where this car is headed, as if I didn’t already know. I try, every single day, to comprehend why a driver feels the need to signal a turn on a lane where the only option is to turn!
I fantasize about creeping up to the driver’s side of the vehicle, lowering my window and calmly saying, “You signal as if you have the option of driving in another direction.” The giant white curved arrow on the street leaves no choice but to turn, why the signal?
I remember complaining about this to a friend at the longest red light ever, and the best excuse he could come up with was that drivers do it as a “friendly reminder” to other drivers. “You know, just in case you didn’t realize you were on the left-turn only lane, the car’s signal ahead of you is a reminder.”
So now there are such things as friendly drivers? There is no way people turn on their left signals on a left- turn only lane because of their concern for others, that would be way too altruistic. I don’t know which is more ridiculous, the redundant signal or believing that the other drivers on the road are looking out for you.
Actually, I do know what’s worse: drivers who don’t signal on the turning lane- and go straight. I guess I’ll never win.

yay.

=)

-franso

No comments:

Don't Disturb THIS Groove...

  • Sweet & Sour/Lemon in the Honey- Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
  • Pretty Brown Eyes- Amerie w/ Trey Songz
  • Sunshower- Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
  • Shades- Wale w/ Chrisette Michele
  • I Wanna Rock- Snoop Dogg