Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Usher- Here I Stand (Mini Critique)

Let's get right to it.

I'm feeling Something Special (joint got Robin Thicke written ALL OVER IT!), What's a Man to Do, and Lifetime the MOST.

Trading Places, Love You Gently, Best Thing (featuring JiggaMan), His Mistakes, Here I Stand are exceptional.

What does that leave?

Revolver, Moving Mountains, Appetite, Before I Met You, What's Your Name, and This Ain't Sex.

Maybe if I force myself to listen to them over and over and over and over and over again... then I'll like them. For now, however... I find them rather unnecessary.

Oh, there's also the Prayer For You interlude with his newborn. A for adorable.

This album should've been called "I'M A GROWN ASS MAN NOW"

It's so interesting to see an artist grow and evolve, with this marriage and baby we are listening to a new Usher. It doesn't matter if we think his wife is a lame-o, she's a major influence on his music. Even though it's disturbing that SHE'S the face to the person he now sings about... I think we gotta respect that!

Another thing.... who writes these songs? I've never noticed this before, but Usher's lyrics are FAR from impressive.
"Order chinese before you do me"? "Light as a feather, but hard as a rock"?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!
Has it always been this way? If so, why am I just noticing it now? Maybe the song qualities aren't good enough to distract me...
If this ain't some R. Kelly nonsense.... *sigh*

Well, goodnight!

Back to my magazine writing assignment... as I listen to "Something Special" for the 100,001th time.

=)

-franso

No comments:

Don't Disturb THIS Groove...

  • Sweet & Sour/Lemon in the Honey- Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
  • Pretty Brown Eyes- Amerie w/ Trey Songz
  • Sunshower- Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
  • Shades- Wale w/ Chrisette Michele
  • I Wanna Rock- Snoop Dogg