Thursday, February 12, 2009

Delayed Grammys Reaction


My Highlights (The Good, Bad, and Questionable):

BEST NEW ARTIST
Duffy
Jonas Brothers
Lady Antebellum
Jazmine Sullivan

Winner: ADELE

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? That made my night, seriously. I would've loved for Duffy to win because I love her album but there's just something that drastically separates her from Adele and I think it's that vocal control- amazing. JONAS BROTHERS?! I won't even go there. I'm not sure who Lady Antebellum is, so I guess this is a biased opinion... but then again- aren't they always? Jazmine Sullivan is cool but I don't think she's THAT big a deal. Again, I didn't hear her entire album but I personally don't find her voice to be THAT big a deal. I appreciate its uniqueness... but she doesn't seem to have much range. If you haven't already, please do yourself a favor and get Adele's album. This is my favorite song on there. Also, she's gonna be at Roseland Ballrom May 5th, see you there? Yessir.

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
Sara Bareilles- Love Song
Duffy- Mercy
Leona Lewis- Bleeding Love
Katy Perry- I Kissed A Girl
Pink- So What

Winner: Adele's Chasing Pavement

Perfection... even though I think everyone was fair game- minus Duffy, that song makes my ears bleed.

Best Pop Vocal Album
Sheryl Crow- Detours
Eagles- Long Road Out of Eden
Leona Lewis- Spirit
James Taylor- Covers

Winner: Duffy'sRockferry

Loved this album, and know nothing about the rest... lol a shame- but I must put it out there that I love James Taylor. ♥

Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance
Paul McCartney- I Saw Her Standing There
Bruce Springsteen- Girls In Their Summer Clothes
Eddie Vedder- Rise
Neil Young- No Hidden Path

Winner: John Mayer's Gravity

Ever heard the this track, Gravity (off of Continuum?) Dreaming With A Broken Heart? Yeah, another category where I knew nothing about the other's but I was still happy nonetheless. (Mayer also won Best Male Pop Vocal Performance!)

Best Female Vocal R&B Performance
Beyonce- Me, Myself, and I (LMAO- from her Live Experience Tour, I was confused too.)
Keyshia Cole- Heaven Sent
Jazmine Sullivan- Need U Bad
Jennifer Hudson- Spotlight

Winnder: Alicia Keys' Superwoman

Wow, I didn't even know about this until now because it wasn't aired. Whoop, whoop! Happy B didn't win because that's useless (Hey Geezy) and the rest are cool also (especially Jazmine Sullivan)... but Superwoman truly did it for me last year- even now, as I go through my daily struggle. The lyrics, melody, etc etc...

Best Male Vocal R&B Performance
Usher- Here I Stand
Trey Songz- Can't Help But Wait
Chris Brown- Take You Down
Eric Benet- You're The Only One
Winner: Ne-Yo's Miss Independent

*sigh* As much as I wasn't much of a fan of Usher's comeback album... he certainly showed vocal growth on this one, so I think he should've won. Miss Independent? Like, really? It was fun... but not so impressive. I would've loved for Eric Benet to win too!!! LOOOOOOOOVE that song.... Take You Down? Abusive or not- not so much.

*yawn* OK, every time I do these little Grammys recaps... I FORGET HOW MANY AWARDS CATEGORIES THERE ARE!!

So! Here's my last thought.

Best Rap Album
Jay-Z- American Gangster
Lupe Fiasco- The Cool
T.I- Paper Trail
Nas- Nas

Winner: Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III

Where to begin though? I'm not questioning Lil Wayne's win (yes I am). It's clear he deserved it in how 2008 was his year. No questions asked. His punch lines were as clever as ever, the swagger was sky high, and the drive was like nothing we'd ever seen or heard.... DID YOU HEAR AMERICAN GANGSTER THOUGH? DID YOU HEAR WHAT THE FUCK LUPE WAS SAYING ON THE COOL? THE KNOWLEDGE NAS WAS QUIETLY SPITTING? THE TRUTH COMING OUT OF T.I'S MOUTH?... I'm just sayin'.

All in all, due mostly to Adele's wins... I wasn't so dissatisfied with the awards! Coldplay did the damn thing as well! (Robert Plant and Allison Krauss though, they stole the house though- winning Album and Record of the Year. No idea who they are though =/...)

And there you have it folks (all 6 of you!)... My Grammys opinion!

If only I had the strength to write about the performances!

=)

-franso

No comments:

Don't Disturb THIS Groove...

  • Sweet & Sour/Lemon in the Honey- Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
  • Pretty Brown Eyes- Amerie w/ Trey Songz
  • Sunshower- Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
  • Shades- Wale w/ Chrisette Michele
  • I Wanna Rock- Snoop Dogg