Sunday, April 5, 2009

Battery Park

Long story short, I had to go into Battery Park last night with 2 classmates (not just classmates, I see you Ramona) for an Urban Journalism paper we have due tomorrow. It was actually very fun, I got there at 4 (ON THE DOT) and wandered around in that hazardous, chilly wind for a while before the other girlies got there. That area is TOO historical for me. Every. Little. Thing. Had a special meaning! It was rather amazing, nice change of pace since I usually don't go past South Street Seaport (STILL love that place, emotionally attached and shit)/

Anyways, of all of the monuments and memorials- trust that there were many- my favorite was this one:

Insaaaaaaaaaanity, the way the waves engulfed the soldier's face every time... Creepy. I couldn't look away though! For a minute I was just standing there thinking about A) how real this looked and how it was affecting me and B) how things like this happen during war all the time. Sucks.
A little background info? Conceived in 1978, created in 1988, dedicated in 1991. Real event, based off a picture the Germans took of their victims in WWII.

Some heavy shit.

-franso

No comments:

Don't Disturb THIS Groove...

  • Sweet & Sour/Lemon in the Honey- Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
  • Pretty Brown Eyes- Amerie w/ Trey Songz
  • Sunshower- Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
  • Shades- Wale w/ Chrisette Michele
  • I Wanna Rock- Snoop Dogg