Thursday, May 28, 2009

Listening & Hearing are 2 Different Things

"I know you hear me, but are you listening to me?"

According to dictionary.com, hear- to perceive by the ear while listen- to give attention with the ear.

TO GIVE ATTENTION.

People need to learn to listen.

I know what it's like, I find myself doing it sometimes, where we ask a question just so that the person's answer can fill up the quiet. It's like we panic when nobody is saying anything, not realizing that silence is juuuuuuust fine.

I'm sick and tired of people (just one) calling me and not LISTENING when I speak, when I answer a question, when an interesting thought comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that such busy people (just one) can find the time to reach out to me every once and a while... but what kind of conversation is this if you're the only one talking?

[VENTING DOESN'T COUNT. We all deserve time to let it all out, definitely.]

But what's it mean when I have to keep repeating myself? Or when I'm asked a question, my answer isn't paid attention to and the other person just turns the conversation into something about them?

OK, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and it's just a phone thing.

Blah, I don't know. I just can't stand that there's such a huge (ignored) difference between HEARING & LISTENING.

People, you'll be appreciated so much more if you just listen- even to the silence.

I know this is pretty random, but it's just annoying. It's not all about you, it's about us.

=)

-franso

No comments:

Don't Disturb THIS Groove...

  • Sweet & Sour/Lemon in the Honey- Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
  • Pretty Brown Eyes- Amerie w/ Trey Songz
  • Sunshower- Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
  • Shades- Wale w/ Chrisette Michele
  • I Wanna Rock- Snoop Dogg